UDF slams LDF as IUML MLA held in Kerala flyover ‘rip-off’


Written by Shaju Philip
| Thiruvananthapuram |

November 19, 2020 1:44:14 am





IUML MLA Ebrahim Kunju

Every week after the opposition UDF kicked off its marketing campaign for the upcoming Kerala civic physique elections with the slogan ‘One vote in opposition to corruption’, an IUML MLA who was the PWD minister beneath the earlier UDF authorities was arrested in a corruption case on Wednesday.

V Okay Ibrahim Kunju was arrested by the Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Bureau (VACB) in a case associated to the development of a flyover alongside the nationwide freeway in Kochi. He was arrested from a non-public hospital in Kochi a day after he was admitted and was later remanded to judicial custody.

LDF convener and Kerala CPI(M) performing secretary V Vijayaraghavan justified the arrest, calling it a “even handed resolution” taken after “finishing all formalities”.

The flyover in Kochi was shut in Could 2019, three years after it was opened to the general public, after creating cracks. Constructed at an preliminary value of Rs 42 crores, the bridge was partially demolished for reconstruction, presently underway at a price of Rs 20 crore. The VACB registered a case in August 2019. Kunju is the fifth accused within the case. The Governor in February sanctioned his prosecution.

Kunju is the second IUML legislator to be arrested this month. M C Kamaruddin was earlier arrested for allegedly dishonest buyers in his now-shuttered jewelry showroom chain.

The IUML management stated Kunju’s arrest was politically motivated. Occasion basic secretary P Okay Kunhalikutty stated the previous minister was arrested by the CPI(M) authorities to “stability” the arrest of M Sivasankar, the previous principal secretary to CM Pinarayi Vijayan, within the gold smuggling case.

Senior Congress chief and former CM Oommen Chandy stated the arrest was meant to divert public consideration. “The UDF had solely accomplished 70 per cent of the bridge building. The remaining 30 % of labor was accomplished in the course of the current regime.”

📣 The Indian Categorical is now on Telegram. Click on here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and keep up to date with the newest headlines

For all the newest India News, obtain Indian Express App.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *